63 Anything Under the Sun: Hello everyone - greetings from around the world Hello everyone - greetings from around the world, Anything Under the Sun” /> Hello everyone - greetings from around the world - Anything Under the Sun

Anything Under the Sun

Sunday, December 9, 2007

Hello everyone - greetings from around the world


Do you know how many languages are there in the world? Well, I searched under "Yahoo Answers" and the answer is 6800. O boy, that's really a lot of languages. However, I don't think there's really an authority to say for definite how many languages there are. (How about all those ancient languages, the list is never ending)

One might not know too many languages, but I'm sure we know of some simple words such as greetings in other languages especially in languages that are popular. Well, here is the list of the greetings that I know of

Hi / Hello - English

Vanakam - Tamil

Nî hâo - Mandrin

Appa Kabar - Malay

(P.S. These are the official languages in Singapore, so almost everyone here knows at least how to greet each other in this 4 main languages.)

The list continues....

Namaste - Hindi

Salut / Bonjour - French

Ciao / Salve - Italian

Hola - Spanish

Sawatdi - Thailand

Namaskaram - Malayalam (Kerala India)

Selamat - Javanese (Indonesia)

Aloha - Hawaiian

Salaam - Arabic

Chào - Vietnamese

Namaskaara - Kannada (India)

Ho bo - Hokkien (Singapore, Indonesia)

For those of you who want to check up other common words like please, goodbye etc in European language check out this site : http://www.geocities.com/mailjohan/

These are just some of the common (Well known) greetings that I know of.

As for me, how I greet someone depends on who I meet.

My relatives - Assalamu Alaikum ( This is how muslims greet each other by invoking the Blessings of God upon each other)

Friends - Hello / Hi

Tamil friends (and especially when I meet my children's Tamil teacher) - Vanakam

Close friends / or friends with whom I have not met up with for quite a while - long time no see (This is Singlish La)

English, being an international languages, many of us will great each other with a "Hi" or "Hello". However, there are many nations using English who have their own manner of greetings.

Some of you may have known that Aussies greet each other with a "Good day mate" and cowboys with "Howdy partner". How about Bugs Bunny's "What's up doc"

Most of us have our own slang of greeting others - So what's yours?

Labels:

posted by Bubbles at 11:33 PM

4 Comments:

And I still don't know all there is to know about English! :D

Great post!!! I looove your blog.

Hugs, Nancy

December 10, 2007 at 8:56 PM  

I like your blog!

Please visit my blog, its new:
http://zexk.blogspot.com

December 11, 2007 at 12:24 AM  

I'm still trying to learn how to speak German and my native language! Wow, thanks to you I know now that when I'm finished with these two, I will still have over 6 thousand more to go!

Damn, now you got me all depressed! :O)

December 11, 2007 at 4:02 AM  

just say g'day in australian

you have been reviewed by the radical blogger and the review can vbe seen here:

http://myradicalblogs.com/index.php/site-review-catalogue/anything-under-the-sun/

the main article here

http://myradicalblogs.com/

December 16, 2007 at 10:31 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home